Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Keeping Faith

My parents remain the best Christians I have ever known. Dad and mom taught us a lot about how to live for God. My sister, Anita, has said that they did not raise us by a lot of rules, but by godly example. Dad’s faith seemed unshakable, even during hard times. Mom’s faith was so tender she could hardly talk about it without crying. They were both simple people; eighth grade educations, blue collar workers. They also buried two babies, and raised five more into adulthood. Their example was to model a faith that would keep us. In fact, dad said something that has stuck with me all my life. I have only recently understood what it meant. “The older you get the more you realize that you don’t keep the faith…the faith keeps you.”

This can have a very liberating effect as we continue our walk with Christ. I am not obligated to work hard to keep my relationship with God, or to depend entirely on my own strength. Hebrews talks about rest for the people of God (4:9). Jesus also spoke in Matthew 11:28-31 about us receiving rest from him.

The whole idea of allowing Christ to keep us may not be easy to do, especially in our own country where we are told to “stand up for yourself,” “pick yourself up by the bootstraps,” etc. While these may be noble under certain circumstances, our strength rests in the Christ who lives in us. After all he did promise the disciples, “…and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, NIV)

I am reminded of a hymn I have sung many times through the years, Moment By Moment. This lovely hymn speaks to our close, intimate relationship with Christ that sustains us literally each moment of the day. The verses speak to trials that he is with us; burdens that he does bear; sorrows that he shares. It also speaks of heartaches, groans, tears, and dangers we face from day to day. In each of these cases he is there, sustaining, strengthening, carrying the load for us, and sharing our bad times.

The refrain speaks directly to being kept by him.

“Moment by moment I’m kept in his love; Moment by moment I’ve light from above. Looking to Jesus ‘till glory doth shine, Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.” There can be no doubt as to the keeping grace of Christ that sustains us daily.

Some very special scriptures that speak to faith that keeps us, all from the NIV:

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

“Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,”

“To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.” (Jude 24, 25)

We do not have to try to be good on our own strength; he makes us good. He keeps us. How is this possible? I can think primarily of three things: grace, love, and mercy, all three of which are beyond our understanding.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment