Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Calming Down

Something caught my attention today. I have been listening to a song on Youtube by the Rangers trio, one of my favorite groups back when I followed Southern Gospel music much more than I do now. The song was recorded in 1960, and is called Just to Live With My Faith In God. It speaks of a longing to have greater faith in our great God.

One line in particular struck me big time. The chorus starts, “He can move a mountain, he can calm the sea; He can walk the waters, he can save a wretch like me.”

By way of background, I got a new tv for Christmas in 2016 that we have really enjoyed. Carol got it and Mike and David set it up for me. Well, today, I noticed a red line on the right side of the screen, going from top to bottom. I contacted the manufacturer on the internet and was able to get into a chat with an agent who was qualified to help. I did that three times, and each time was told that I should go back to the website and make a service request and submit it. They said I should hear from them in a couple of days. I did this three times and finally found what I was looking for. In the meantime, I had to gather model numbers, serial numbers, software numbers and all kinds of stuff. The website was not very easy to navigate and my frustration was growing by the minute. Finally I decided to let it go and wait and see if they really will contact me.

Now, I have to admit, this is far from a serious life impacting issue, but it sure was frustrating. I still don’t know how this is going to be resolved.

Soon after that, I got to thinking how I was so upset with the tv and having to deal with the company, and how frustrating that was. I have a tendency to get impatient when ordinary things that should work right…don’t all of a sudden.

Then the thought ran through my mind from the line in the Rangers’ song, Christ can move mountains, he can calm seas, he can walk waters. Then a little more came to mind. He can touch blind eyes and make them see again. He can raise a child from the dead…and Lazarus. He can tell demons to go back to Hell where they belong…and they do. He can touch a leper and make him whole again. He can take a mere 5 loaves of bread and two fish and feed 5000 people. He can love Judas and the other disciples in a way that is beyond our understanding, even after they failed him. He can give his own life for us…and rise victoriously from the dead. Oh yeah, John even spoke of his role in creation. If he can do all of that…and stuff I can’t even think of, surely he can calm me down over a stupid tv. He did, by the way.

Paul said something in Ephesians 3:20-21 that is pertinent here.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” (NIV)

Big stuff, little stuff (like tvs), it does not matter. He cares about us and is involved in our lives. Like Psalm 55:22 says, “Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.” (KJV)

No matter what that burden is, or frustration, or failure. Give it to him. Just be still and listen, and allow him to give his peace to you. Your issue may not be taken care of right away (my tv still has that red line on the screen), but he can reveal his presence as a reassurance that if we come to Him, he will give us the rest we are looking for.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment